North Carolina Seal of Biliteracy
Seal of Biliteracy Status
Approved State Seal
North Carolina State Info:
Global Languages Endorsement
- a) The student shall earn a combined 2.5 GPA for the four English Language Arts courses required for graduation.
- b) The student shall establish proficiency in one or more languages in addition to English, using one of the options outlined below and in accordance with the guidelines developed by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction.
- i. Pass an external exam approved by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction establishing “Intermediate Low” proficiency or higher per the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) proficiency scale.
- ii. Complete a four-course sequence of study in the same world language, earning an overall GPA of 2.5 or above in those courses. iii. Establish “Intermediate Low” proficiency or higher per the ACTFL proficiency scale using the Credit by Demonstrated Mastery policy described in GCS-M-001.
- c) Limited English Proficiency students shall complete all the requirements of sections 5a and 5b above and reach “Developing” proficiency per the World-Class Instructional Design and Assessment (WIDA) proficiency scale in all four domains on the most recent state identified English language proficiency test.